Thursday, January 27, 2011

At Seventeen

I never planned on making my blog a bookmark for all the delightful things I read , but so it now seems. On a recent episode of Simpsons, I heard this song as the credits rolled. Its called, At- Seventeen, by Janis Ian and captures the dreams, the need for approval and all things indispensable to a teen.

Here are a few lines,
I learned the truth at seventeen
That love was meant for beauty queens
And high school girls with clear skinned smiles
Who married young and then retired
The valentines I never knew
The Friday night charades of youth
Were spent on one more beautiful
At seventeen I learned the truth 

This one song, I felt, reads better than heard. The lyrics can be found here
http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/atsevent.htm
My favorite lines however are from the very last verse 
"We all play the game and when we dare
To cheat ourselves at solitaire
Inventing lovers on the phone
Repenting other lives unknown"
I figure, we are always going to conjure fancy dreams and repent the unknown lives.
Only, at seventeen it is excusable. 
 



1 comment:

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Its strange how the theme here moves pretty well with my last poem :)